Friday, October 20, 2017

An amazing, supernatural memory...

For the past year...year and a half... I've been telling the kids a bedtime story that I made up.  The characters are "Josh-chel" and "Ra-shua."  Obviously, a play on their names.  The stories are mostly made up... with inspiration from Star Wars, Marvel Universe, DC Comics, 金庸, and other stories/movies I've seen over the years.  The kids don't know any better... so they think it's all original.   If not for copy right reasons, I literally can publish a children story and it might actually be pretty good!! 

In an earlier post, I mentioned there are times I'm so tired of telling this story, I find ways to stall.  And of course, there are nights where I'm just too tired and I say, "It's too late, we'll continue tomorrow." 

On and off.... the story has definitely evolved.  To a point where I don't even remember how the story got to where it is.  But last night... the kids amazingly recited the story, down to every last frightful detail, from it's inception.  Details that I don't even remember coming up with, let alone say. 

I'm so impressed...and touched... that they take this father/son/daughter time so seriously.  That among all the Netflix videos, all the books they read, all the movies they watch... they cherish my half-assed story telling. 

Here's the flip side to the coin.  If they remember these "happy" thoughts... what do you think are the chances they remember the "unhappy" thoughts?  Really makes you think twice about how to raise this next generation. 

No comments: