Thursday, July 09, 2026

Family Getaway

It’s always an adventure in it of itself… to go on a family getaway… and / or a family getaway with Grace and her kids.  To start things off… as we rolled off the driveway… I said a prayer that we don’t get into a fight.  To which NN smiles and admits… it’s usually me and her that get into a fight.  How sad.

 All summer… I’ve been apprehensive about this trip.  Going to a lake… where we’re not big into water sports… and in an Airbnb that I know absolutely nothing about.  The silver lining my friends told me… was I can get some quiet / down time to catch up on reading or to disconnect. 

 Living in an Airbnb presents its own challenges… the sharing of rooms, beds, bathrooms, kitchen space, living space, and fridge space.  I can’t say enough of how much we are different family units that can come together and share. But there are also lines that you never expect to lay that are crossed… such as bringing a pack of 24 eggs.. .and within 2 days, only 5 were left.  Or the tub of butter that was nearly gone after 3 days.  Or the 24 cans of soda and 24 cans of Chi… that was nearly completely wiped out.  Geez louise… how much do people eat? And then…there was the who mix up of making steak.  I didn’t want to make it.  Didn’t want ot bbq it… and then I was asked to do it… only to find out it wasn’t even marinated!!!  Omg…. The little things.  But those little things are quickly overshadowed by greater things… the core memories that are created.

 Dining and laughing with family is priceless.  Mah jong as a family is priceless.  SW… unexpectedly growing up to be the cool favorite cousin is unexpected.  And I’m totally utterly completely outmatched in Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros…. My two little nephews are not that little anymore.  They’re still sweet as can be… and have their moments.  Don’t know how much longer they’ll want to hang out with us.

No comments: