Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Day Part II - If you smeeeeelllllllll........

It's fake.... It's childish... It's stupid.... Yes, Yes...and Yes.  But one of guilty pleasures as far back as 2nd grade has been "professional wrestling." 

Still remember those days when mom wouldn't let us watch wrestling and we 'secretly' recorded it.  Then watched it with the living room door closed thinking we've outsmarted her.

Still remember.... that fateful Sunday in 1986 when we convinced mom and grandma to take us to Cow Palace to watch Wrestlemania III (live simulcast), only for mom to do the right thing as a parent and say "No."  She ended up buying us a program... and big bro ended up crying on the way home.

Still remember.... a year later on network TV, Hogan got jipped of his title on "The Main Event" when Earl Hebner, twin brother of Dave Hebner, counted three even when Hogan had his shoulder up.  I was in the kitchen cooking dinner cuz I was too scared to watch.  Yes... I thought it was real.

Still remember....the rise of NWA, later known as WCW.  Sting....the Four Horseman....Luger.

Then at some point.... wrestling got dumb or I just grew up. 

There was always a constant in wrestling.... for me, at least.  And that was Hulk Hogan.  He left....and came back...left and came back.  When this wrestling icon finally came back...and to rival WCW no less.... it sucked a loser, like me, back into the show. 

But throughout the years.... I've never been to a real wrestling match.  Have never seen how professional or unprofessional the sport really is.  Until the night of the 21st....when I got two free tickets to WWE Monday Night Raw.  Hahahaha....

Everything was as expected.  Over the top acting.  Corny angles.  Loud music.  And I'm not sure what bothered me more....the fact that people actually paid for this stuff?? (It was a full house at the Shark Tank) or the fact that some folks, adults, were really into it.  They were boo-ing and giving the finger as if they really hated the heels.  Hahaha..... 

I never dreamnt of being a wrestler.  I knew I wasn't cut out for it.  I always wanted to be a referee. I always wanted to be the ONE ref....who would run out after the official ref got knocked unconcious.  I wanted to be the guy who won the World Title for the guy who kept getting jipped.  But y'know.... not so much anymore.

IF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.....WHAT THE ROOOOOOOOOOOCK.....ISSSSSSSSSS............COOOOOOOOOOOOOKINGGGGGGGGG!!!?????!?!?!?!?!?

No comments: