Sunday, August 24, 2014

Carnival 2014

I'd be remiss if I didn't jot down a few thoughts on today's CS Carnival. 

The idea came to me on a Sunday afternoon when I came back from my alma mater's Open House which had a bounce house / slide and facepainting.  My kids loved it... so I thought, I should do something my kids love!!  The Carnival... despite all the thanks and praises... was actually very self-serving. 


One of the best part of my day... was when I had a chance to sit down and speak with an elderly Caucasian couple.  They brought their grand-daughter there... was the only non-Asian... and was a little bit out of place.  But we were engaged in a fine 15 minute conversation.  From parenting... to history of San Jose... to practicing our faith. 

Then the other best part of my day... I chatted with their granddaughter and her friend.  Her friend was the one who invited them.  He was a shy kid... and he burned his feet on the hot pavement.  And he didn't want to go back out to play.  He simply refused.  I wanted to cheer up the boy and give him some encouragement.  So we chatted and laughed.  I told a few jokes and stories.... but he still didn't want to go.  I ended up saying, "Ok buddy... I'll see you out there!!"  That wasn't the good part.  About an hour later.... I saw him out there and his mom came up to me and said, "I think it was your little talk with him.  Thank you."

There were highs and lows, ups and downs.... but finally... one of the best thing that happened, was seeing one of my sister spending almost the entire time welcoming people to our Alpha dinner.  Most of the other b&s were either working or having a good time.  But Miranda... she was tirelessly handing out flyers. 

At the end of the night... she was, "It was a very successful event. We got a lot of people to register for Alpha."

And isn't that what this Carnival event was all about....? Shame on me for being self-serving. 

No comments: