Friday, October 17, 2014

THE GIANTS HAVE WON THE PENNANT!!!

25 years ago today... was the '89 Earthquake that shocked the world and stalled a World Series.

25 years later... I sit here reveling at yet another Giants Pennant at the cost of those bloody Cardinals.

Unlike the last 2 times in 2010 and 2012, the game wasn't on TV.  I guess Network TV's don't draw the ratings to sacrifice their primetime slot for baseball.  Amazingly... I come home and Joyce already has the radio going.  (Married the right woman indeed). 

Was trying to play it down... but I couldn't.  During the dinner, when Bumgardner gave up the lead with the go-ahead Homerun... I took it out on NN and yelled at SW for extra measures. Ha!! What a horrible dad.  It ended up being a very quiet dinner.  And I ended up apologizing.

It wasn't until Nn went to bed that we tied it.  I didn't even hear the call on the radio.  One minute I was putting Nn down... next minute, I check my phone and the score is 3-3.  I run out to the kitchen and see Joyce holding SW and tickling him. He was hysterical... She had a huge smile... the noise from the radio was euphoric.  I missed it. 

It's funny how you remember exactly where you were when events like this happens.

1989 Earthquake - 5:04PM. I was at Chinese school.
2002 Game 5 - I was in the stands with Jeff, Chris and Joyce.  Saw the thing live.
2010 Game 6 - on the phone with Chris (in Hong Kong), streaming the TV via Yahoo Messenger to China, with a 1.5 year old baby girl.
2012 Game 7 - at home.  By myself.  The kids were asleep.
2014 Game 5.  In bed.  Lights were off.  Radio was blasting. Joyce and I trying to put SW down, but in reality, we were both listening. Jon Miller's legendary voice cracks through our clock radio saying, "AND THE GIANTS HAVE WON THE PENNANT!!"  I high-5 my lovely wife in the dark.  Turn the radio back to Streams of Praise music.. and walk out of the room. 

Moments like this lives on forever.  I told my friend, Game 5 in 2002 is one the best moments of my life.  He was at the game last night.  I'm sure Game 5 of 2014 will be one of the best moments of his. 

So many story lines. So many angles.  So many tales left untold. 

My hope... is there'll be an entry in roughly a week that'll detail out where I am when the Giants win the World Series.  Until then.....

No comments: