Saturday, November 22, 2014

Dear Santa

Dear Santa,

I don't believe in you anymore.  I once did.  I once thought you were true to those who believed in you.  I once wrote a long list of things, because I knew you would make it true.

Now I want to ask you for something.  For Christmas this year, I want only want thing.  I want my wife to be proud of me. I want my wife to approve of me. I want my wife to know that what I do, makes a difference.


I don't want one ultimate compliment.  Not when I've achieved something. I want non-stop approvals along the way. I want her to be proud of me for trying, though failing. I want her to be proud of me for making the effort. I want her to be proud of me, because I want to improve myself.

I want her to do this naturally and without hesitation. I want this to be part of her DNA, her daily being, that she can't go to sleep at night without telling me how great a job I've done with raising the kids... or how amazing I am at TRYING to keep a work/life balance.

Santa... I'm sure you want Mrs. Claus to acknowledge your hard work.  For all you've done for the millions of kids out in the world. And I'm sure Mrs. Claus is proud... even if she doesn't say it... even if she doesn't say it.

Lastly, Santa, I know you're fake. I know you're not real. Just like the fact that my wife will never verbally be proud of me... it's never going to be real.

Merry Christmas,
  Men Around the World


No comments: