Sunday, August 22, 2021

Another trip around the sun...

Another trip around the sun.  This time, I actually made a special request to hang out with my friends.  Back in May or June.. we saw that the A's were gonna play the Giants at Oakland.  Figured tickets were gonna be cheaper and easier to come by.  

The day started out greeeeeeeeeeeeeat.  I woke up.  I was able to breathe.  Get up.  Pee without any problems.  The kids were awake too.  Things are different now.  When they were very young, they would RUUUUUUUUUN to wake me up on my birthday like it's Christmas morning.  As they got older... NN would wake up that morning and hurriedly, quickly whip up a card.  SW, if he had time, would do the same.  Or he would sign his name on NN's.  This year... they sat on the sofa and read. Heh...

I made a quick run to our local McD's to get a mouth watering sausage mcmuffin, hash brown and $1 coffee.  It's my bday... I should eat what makes me happy, right??  

During breakfast... for some unknown reason... NN get harping on SW about his love for ketchup.  And she wouldn't get off his case.  After the n-th time... I lost it and said, "Stop it.  Just mind your own business."   (Oops!!)  The house is now as cold as a random Tuesday night at Candlestick.  NN knew she messed up.  Joyce knew I was pissed.  SW was a bit.... aloof.  

You can hear them whispering... about getting daddy his presents.  I was sitting there on my phone, planning out my day when SW came up to be with a bag of gifts.  NN was about 3 steps behind, staying away.  I grabbed the bag and said "thank you SW."  I open the bag to find an iWatch and AirPods.  I hate gadgets especially if they cost hundreds of dollars.  Especially, after I found something I wanted and I told them explicitly what I wanted.  I didn't try to hide my disappointment.... I was actually, just pissed off at NN more than anything.  

Ended up hugging NN before I left for the game... sorta, kinda made up for my mis-step.  The game turned out to be amazing!!  The coliseum was ironically, my first baseball game ever.  Back then.. my friend would call me and I wouldn't even need to ask mom or dad.  I just grabbed my bag, stuffed it with some food, and went.  An odd atmosphere when half the fans cheered for one team and the other half was wrong.  But there was never a dull moment and it was all positive energy.  40,000 fans.... in the midst of COVID.  Unheard of.  The previous series, Oakland was drawing 8,000.  Geez.....

After the game, we trudged over to Gao Viet to get a bowl of Phozilla. An $80 bowl of pho with pork shank, prime filet and a whole lobster.  We messed up... and didn't place our name on the waiting list via Yelp.  Ended up waiting an hour 45 minutes.  Both kids knew... this was daddy's bday.  They didn't complain.  NN kept saying, "I'm not hungry."  SW was hungry... and we got him a bag of chips.  But after the initial hour... I didn't want to wait anymore and we went to a noodle place next door. It was dark and cold by then... and all we wanted some sustenance.  The waitress dropped off menus for us to mark up.... when.... Joyce got a text that our table was ready.  Sigh...  What would you do????  Since I was the bday boy... I made the executive decision... to go back and cash in on our "sunk cost."  I apologized to the waitress and said we have an emergency.  The food was amazing.... not worth the wait... but definitely worth going again.  

After all was said and done and I dropped Geoff off in the city... I finally got home around 11PM.  Expecting the family to be asleep.  Only to find them wide awake.  Not because they wanted to cut a cake with me... they know I don't like sweets... but because they had a third surprise present for me.  After an amazing day... they could've gotten me anything... and I would've been ecstatic.

"We saw you were a little grumpy this morning... so I told momma we need to get you want you wanted." 

Smiling from ear to ear... I gave them a kiss, tucked them in, sat down on the same chair I sat this morning... and watched the clock tick away the final minutes of yet again.... my 39th birthday...

No comments: