Friday, April 22, 2022

Earth Day 2022

In commemoration of of Earth Day... I'll begin the first of a series of what I've always suspected... but am finding out to be more truth than myth.  Plastic recycling is scam.  As one writer puts it.. it's nothing more than something that "makes the consumer feel better." 

Truth be told... I never believed in recycling.  Not because it's not real.  Paper (if separated), glass, aluminum... those are all recyclable. In 6th grade... I devised the first recycling program at school by putting boxes in all the classrooms for scrap paper.  What came as a shock was... after we collect the paper... we had to bring it somewhere!!!

Kenneth, Johnson and I carried bags and bags of paper... walking up and down the Embarcadero looking for a recycling center we found on the Yellow Pages that no longer existed.  Ended up having mom take me there on an early Saturday morning.  And once we found the recycling center... I dumped all the paper into a bin.  A worker saw us and asked us to start separating the color from the white.  We didn't... we left.  My job was done.  But was it?? 30 years later... that day is as clear as last night's dinner. 

Separating out white from color.  Emptying all the content from bottles and cans. Removing labels from bottles. And so much more....  and that's the bottom line. Recycling doesn't work without work.  


No comments: