Wednesday, September 19, 2018

哥!

I have an older brother... that's it.

I've always loved my brother and thank the Lord for blessing me with this sibling.  He's been my hero, my role model, my best friend all my life.  Yet.... I've always wanted more.  I've always wanted other siblings.

When I married Joyce.... I was able to adopt Grace as my sister-in-law.  I've always called her "阿妹." But no matter how hard I try... she's still my sister- IN-LAW.

I have a 堂家姐 and 堂世老 in New York.  But my 堂世老 is more ABC than me.  He won't understand the relationship.

I loved having the opportunity to say the words, "家姐."  Cuz I've always wanted an older sister, a womanly figure, in my life.  To teach me about being a gentleman, to teach me how to treat women well.  I wrote a blog many years ago about this special moment.

In a week, I will have my 堂妹 visit us and stay with us.  We've been exchanging texts via WeChat the past few days to plan her stay.  Via texting....she'll write Henry哥哥 or 哥.  But I melted like butter when I heard her record a message in WeChat and she called me, "哥!"

No one has ever called me that.  My 堂世老 calls me Henry.  My "sister"-in-law calls me Henry or 姨丈."   In my point of reference, the word "哥" is reserved for the most special person in the family that everyone respects and looks up to.  And today.... I experienced that calling.

Can't wait for Cherie to come visit us so I can hear that in person.

No comments: