Thursday, May 20, 2010

Worries...

Recently been thinking about retirement. Maybe cuz my folks are approaching that milestone and the thought keeps recurring.

A buddy of mine (66 years old) returned to the workforce because he simply couldn't afford to retire. He previously thought that 70% of his salary would be enough for he and his wife. He didn't realize that he needed 100%! Immediately, one would think of insurance as the prime driver. Indeed, it is. But the most pressing source of drainage comes from taxes!!

It's no wonder people move to places w/o state tax or sales tax or property tax.

How can I possibly retire in the Bay Area by the age of 35??

Mood: poor

1 comment:

Joyce K. L. said...

Oh pooor you, too bad you cannot retire by the age of 35!

Lately I have been watching Suzy Orman show religiously, seems like u do need a handsome amount of money in retirement to retire. Makes me wonder if I will ever get there....

Especially when she talks about the future value of money, I wished I have started investing in my Roth IRA few years earlier...man, just thinking of retirement plans is making me sad.