Saturday, May 01, 2010

At the checkout line - REVISITED

Revisting a March 2007 post - "At the checkout line"

First of all... I'm personally amazed at how I remember writing a post from 3+ years ago.

So I was at Mituswa today getting some Ramen which is CASH only. The total came out to be $19.56. I handed a $20 bill to the 17-18 year old cashier.

(QUICK!! How much change would I get back?!?!?! )

Without having to reach for your iPhone to calculate it... you should already know it's $0.44. Not too hard, right?

(But here's the good part...)

Who would want four pennies jingling in their pocket? Oh lookie here!! There's a tip jar right in front of the cashier with a crapload of coins. I reach in... grab a penny... and hand it to the cashier.

She did not know what to do. Stunned. Do the math... please.

The bill is $19.56.
I have now given her $20.01.
What should I get back?

She couldn't do the math... she was stuck. Poor her. I try to make life easier for her but I end up embarrassing the both of us. I told her to give me $0.45. She said, "Oh...okay." And I dropped a nickle back into the tip jar and said, "Was just trying to make the math easier."

Here's the thing...
1) Whatever happened to simple arithmetic?
2) What's the big deal about taking change from their tip jar? I got chastised before for this. It's not like I'm stealing from their life savings. I'm breaking change. And even if I don't put money back... it's just a penny!! Am I really the only person that does that?

Mood: cloud nine

1 comment:

Roy2000 said...

If you go to S.F. Caltrain station, there is a small coffee shop which blacklisted someone and saying "This is a tip stealer".