Thursday, August 30, 2018

14 years overdue....

Had lunch with a friend's wife's sister today.  I never actually met this person, but 14 years ago, I submitted her resume into my company's internship program and she got selected and was hired on full time.  A couple of months ago, our paths somehow reconnected.  So she asked if we can do lunch.   After lunch... I showed her my office.  And as she was about to leave.... she said she had a gift for me.

A pleasantly wrapped box, with a artistic bow and a card with "Henry" written in beautiful calligraphy.

(I don't know when's the last time I was this surprised.)

I open the gift and it's a beautiful stone, with the proverb, "A rolling stone gathers no moss."  The stone is seated in this artificial moss and it looks like something you buy from a airplane catalog.

She said, turn it over.  And on the back of the stone was inscribed the word, "tHANKs."
(at work... since 2005, i started going by my nickname "Hank" and I use ~tHANKs for my email signature)  She went out of her way to personalize it. And oh by the way.... the box, the artificial moss, the little branch.... those were all hand-made.

Then I opened up the card.  There was an Amazon gift card in there.  But what blew me away was her sincerity in thanking me for the simple gesture of submitting her resume 14 years ago.  It was her way of showing gratitude, which to her, was 14 years overdue.  To me... it was a simple gesture that's not even worth mentioning.  Ah wellz....

I think my top 10 for 2018 is filling up fast.....  and we've still got 5 months to go!!

No comments: