Thursday, August 04, 2022

Big Island - Day 2

3:30AM (6:30AM PDT) - I'm wide awake.  

That's the bad thing about a hotel... regardless of the price you pay... a room is still a room. You have no privacy.  And if you're up early (or up late), you have to be considerate to the other people.  

By 4:30AM... the kids were also up.  Without any choices... I took them out for a walk so Joyce can get some shut-eye.  An odd sense of serenity in paradise at the edge of the world. The sun slowly poked it's head over Mauna Kea.  The birds were restless. There was not a soul in the entire resort.  I find it hard to believe that no other Californians were out and about. 

After an hour of exploring, including finding the dolphins... we headed back to our room and started to make coffee.  We bought our own coffee maker and Kona coffee, knowing full well we'll save money in the long run vs. the hotel coffee bar... and it'll be 10x better than the hotel Keurig. 

Slowly... everyone started texting the family chat group saying they were up.  I was restless... and ready to head over to Hilo, which was a 2 hour drive away... only to find out... that one family was still asleep.  STILL ASLEEP!?!?! It's 8AM... 11AM PDT!!! You have the rest of your life to sleep... let's go!!!!!

Credit Grace for making an executive call... "We're leaving in 2 minutes... you can come with us or meet up with us later." An empty threat.  We ended up waiting another 30 minutes before meeting at the lobby.  Then at the lobby... we waited for the grandparents some more... who ambled over with big smiles on their faces, "It's so beautiful here, we were out taking pictures!"  Taking pictures!?!?!? You have another 6 days to take pictures... you just had us wait here for 45 minutes.  LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! 

Our first stop was Akaka Falls... one of Joyce's must see.  I shoulda done more research. This place costs $10 to park... and $5 per non-resident.  Ok... fine... it's for a good cause, right??? No.  Rip off.  The "hike" was 0.5 mile. And we didn't even get within 500 feet of the falls.  Did we just walk into a tourist trap???? I will admit... I'm not into plants or botany... but there were some amazing tropical plants that even got me to pause and admire.  How I wish I can share that with some {{someone.}}

After climbing out of the money trap... the family that started out late finally showed up.  I almost wanted to tell them to skip this stop... but bit my tongue.  We could've hit up another waterfall (which turned out to be free!!) Or... in this case... I said let's head to lunch.  We can recharge, regroup and decide on what's next.  On our way to Farmer's Market... I saw a bakery and vaguely remember it being another "stamp." So I pulled over and wanted to get one or two things... y'know... to say I've been here, done that.  But the grandparents... THEY WENT TO TOWN!!! It's almost like the beginning of SIP when everyone was hoarding everything.  They bought enough to feed a small village. 

Got to Hilo... found the farmer's market (underwhelming).  And found a nice shack with a poke...tacos... burgers.  Perfect.  A little bit for everyone.  I didn't even think, I made a bee-line and stood in line to order.  Had I waited to gather and discuss... it would've been another 20 minutes before we ordered.  I love ordering food for everyone.  Love being in control.  Get a bit of this... get a bit of that.  And most importantly... I can get exactly what SW wanted - a plain hamburger, no cheese, and fries.  The cashier was amazingly nice... and I throttled up my charm... cuz I was ordering so much.  Didn't want to confuse her... but also wanted to be sure she got my order right. 

Credit Grace once again... she marched to the beat of my drum.  And she went and got drinks for everyone.  Efficient. 

After we were done with lunch...the family that was 45 minutes behind finally caught up.  Now they started ordering and eating lunch.  By now... part of the group walked over to the farmer's market coming back with enough fruit to feed an entire city.  I asked if they had coconuts... (knowing Joyce wanted to drink straight from one) and to my surprise, they complained it was too expensive!! Uh.... maybe if you hadn't bought up all the bread and fruit... you'll have some money leftover??? (Heh)

So I walked over and found the coconut stand... got some mangos and a $7 coconut. They lopped off the top and gave us a straw.  Bleah... I'm not one for coconut water... but it's another "stamp."  We walked back to where everyone was still eating lunch with coconut in hand.  And one by one, people disappearing.  One by one, they came back with a coconut.  Ohhh.... how funny. 

It's almost 2pm now... been here for almost 2.5 hours and we finally decide to hit up the Black Sand Beach. On our way out of Hilo... I started seeing all these cute stores and restaurants... including the pineapple place, that served only pineapple dishes.  I make a slight comment like, "Ahhh man... I wanna try that." And NN made a remark like, "Daddy... you keep talking like that, no one will want to be your friend." 

WTH?!?!?!?!?  No one wants to be my friend????  We fly 6 hours here.  We wait for everyone, everywhere.  We sit in the same restaurant for 2.5 hours.  And now we're leaving... who knows when we're coming back... we didn't even get to walk around this little town... and no one wants to be my friend???? Ohhhhhhhh..... I was NOT a happy camper. And she knew it.  

The drive to Black Sand beach was very quiet. I guess everyone was still a little tired... a little on edge.  Whatever tension was built up in the car... was washed away by the majestic views and breathtaking scenery.  Yes... it was a bit of a drive, but everyone needed that quiet time.  And now everyone was going to enjoy some cool Pacific Ocean water on their feet, coupled with the salty warm air on their face and topped off with.... crushed lava rocks.

Only one family was truly ready for the beach... but as with all beach experience, you try to stay away.  Then you roll up your pant leg to dip your toes.  And before you know it... you're fully drenched.  As was the case for everyone.  NN apologized... and I apologized too.  Life (and vacation) is too short for this type of bickering.

We were nearing sunset.... and about to set out for the Volcanoes. The kids were excited... they must think we're gonna look at a huffing and puffing crater with red-hot magma pouring out.  Whatever it takes to get them moving!! I mapped out "Volcano National Park" - surprised it was only a 20 minute drive away.  It felt much longer than that on our way down.  Sure enough... google map took us to a giant sign that said "Volcano National Park!!" HA!!  The actual entrance and visitor center was only another 10 minutes away... wonder why Google Maps would bring me here.

This time... the caravan all showed up within minutes of each other.  But the fun started yet again... Everyone got out and saw that I put on a hoodie and they started rummaging through their cars for anything to wear.  Shirts. Jackets. Scarves!!! People... we told you to dress in layers for Hilo!!!  Then it was the merry-go-round of going to the bathroom.  Nope.  Don't go at once... take turns going and then come back, so the next person can ask, "Where's the bathroom?" And while the first half the group were standing around waiting... they started to nibble on the fruit and bread they bought.  Just in time for the 2nd half of the group to swing around and say THEY'RE hungry!!!  The smorgas bord is open... nom nom nom.  

"Are we ready?? Can we start walking now???" (Face palm SMH)

The sun was started to set... and we knew no one was in a mood to hike the entire recommended trail.  So we decide to do the short quick 0.75 mile hike to the steam vents.  Come back... and drive the rest of the "tour." With their bladders empty and bellies full... everyone was in a great mood.  As we turned the corner out of the bushes into clearings... the scent of sulfur served as the appetizer to the full course of smoke coming out yellow rocks.  BREATH-TAKING!!!  And it was here... we took our first of few family photos.  All smiles.  Everyone was looking. If anything else... this was going to be how everyone visually remembers this trip.

The hike took us to the lip of the crater where we saw a hole that's 2 miles wide of black nothingness.  The free map pointed out the different types of cooled lava... and which years the volcano erupted.  Wish I had a map of how my temper had erupted during the first two days of this trip!! 

About another 100 feet away... I saw a parking lot and made the suggestion of the drivers going back to get the car so folks don't have to hike back.  Not a lot of politicking needed.  The decision was unanimous. The hike back and drive up was quick and easy... now to drive off to the rest of the scenic points. YAY!! We were all in sync... on the same wavelength.  I'll pull out... move up a few car lengths... and wait for the other two cars to come out.  And we're off!!!

We get to site #5... and it's now pitch black.  The sun has set waaaaaaaaaay beyond the west.  It was almost sunrise in Australia for pete's sake.  We see a sign... it's a 3 mile round trip hike to the actual crater itself.  No one wanted to do it... except me and a bunch of rambunctious boys.  (Heh... I'm the fun uncle.) Yet... pragmaticism wins out and we're back in the car.  This time... the park rangers said if you want to see lava... you'll have to head back to the Visitor Center, where we originally parked, and walk a "short distance." WHAT?!?!? Retrace our steps??? Ugh.... I guess going to the volcano at night isn't a well kept secret afterall.

So we head back....park... and remember how there was a merry-go-round of bathroom goers. This is now the sequel!!  How did people not go the first time?? How did they produce so much bodily waste in a matter of an hour?? More standing around.  More snacking.  More of me giving Joyce "the look." Heh... to the point where, even she got tired of all this waiting.  

Alas... we start off and one of the family was now the star of the trip.  They brought a flashlight!! Not that you needed one... the paths are well lit, the stars were out and there were people everywhere.  Yet... he felt redeemed for making his dad pack his flashlight and now he was the scout leading the troops.  Excitement was brewing. We were off on an adventure.  We're gonna see LAVA!!! We're gonna catch on fire!!!  We get to the viewing point with over 200 hundred people flashing their smart phones to take pictures... only to see... about a mile away... there's this reddish orangish glowing blob.  Blob might be generous.  It was more of a speck.  The state park could've bought some lights and made a display and no one would be the smarter.  Ok.. mission accomplished. We got our stamp!!

I quickly gather the drivers and discuss... next steps.  Dinner at Hilo?? Everywhere will close unless we hurry.  How about Kurtistown?? Is there parking? Is there dine-in?? Nothing... nothing... and more nothing.  Should we call ahead and order take-out and eat in the car? Couldn't get a decision.  Then... I found a Pizza Hut, three of them actually, that closes at 10PM.  BINGO.... that's what we'll do.  I offered to call and order 3 pizzas ahead... so we arrive, grab, and eat in the car on our drive home.   (Here I go again...ordering for everyone, heh). Couldn't get a consensus.

By now... Joyce had had-it. She says... let them fend for themselves. We order for ourselves...and we eat on our own.  Fine by me!!!  So while we're walking back from the scenic point to our car... and my Amazing Race DNA kicks in. I download the Pizza Hut App... create an account... and walking and ordering at the same time.  We got to our car and order is placed... pickup in 15 minutes.  Everyone started gathering again (probably for another bathroom trip) and I quickly and quietly said... "各自各."  "Ok.. 各自各" said one of the drivers. I didn't even bother saying goodnight to anyone... we sped off in a hurry.  We lost them!! HAHA!!! Freedom!!! And this time...it wasn't my idea.

We arrived... walked in.. grabbed our pizza... and started munching away.  Hot piping pizza... just the way SW and NN wants them.  Didn't have to care about anyone else. And as we're munching away... we now see Grace pull up in her car.  Dunno if she's tired or what... but she looked pissed.  I think she thinks we ditched her.  All day long... we were a team... and now... at the hungriest and more tired moment... when the kids in the back were sound asleep... we were off on our own.  I saw her walk into the Pizza Hut and start talking to the clerk.  She did NOT order ahead.  She doesn't have the Amazing Race DNA.  She now has to stand and wait for who knows how long.... and I couldn't bear that sight.  She's my sister... she's hungry.  Frustrated.  And she doesn't have a spouse to partner with on these things. She's off on her own... (and doing an exceptional job juggling everything).

So I offer her some of our pizza... we couldn't finish it.  She refused... saying she ordered some chicken wings.  Then she swallowed a bit of pride... and said... maybe give me a couple of slices for the kids, when they wake up.  Abso-freakin-lutely.  I was all for ordering food for everyone...so everyone can drive up with hot food waiting for them.  I delivered a couple of slices... and said, "Drive safe, see you tomorrow."  And with that... we started on our 1.5 drive over Mauna Kea... 4000 feet up.  Had we followed my itinerary... we would be headed to Nightime Diving with Manta rays.  Had we followed my plans... we would've coincided the evening drive with a stop at the Onizuka Observatory... one of a kind in the entire world.  Not tonight.... tonight.  We had our pizza... our Sprite and Orange Crush... and we were headed back to our hotel.  

Biggest takeaway... Joyce and the kids are now on my side.  Either they were fearful of Mount Daddy erupting.  Or they too knew... it's impossible to corral everyone in this type of trip.  

East side of Big Island... until we meet again. 

10:30PM (1:30AM PDT)... everyone is sound asleep.  And I'm up... checking up on my fantasy baseball team.  I'm gonna lose this week... and lose big. 

No comments: