Thursday, August 11, 2005

Gratuity

So Joyce and I go to dinner at this Chinese restaurant in Sunnyvale per our friend's recommendation. Actually, she didn't really recommend it, she merely told us about it. We go there, thinking we can grab quick bite and then head over to Borders to get some work done. Go in, there's not one employee in sight. Stand around for a few minutes until we're seated. The restaurant was near empty and we could've seated ourselves. It took them 5 minutes to get us a pot of tea. Took 10 minutes to place our orders. Took 15 minutes to get our food out to us. And by the time we're done...took them over 15 minutes to get us or bill. They asked us if we wanted a to-go box, but it never came! So instead of a quick 1/2 hour dinner...we ended up dining for an hour and a half. I really wanted to walk out - if they wanted us to pay, they'll catch up to us.

The bill was $21.65. We paid $21.75 and walked out. Had I had exact change, I would've given exact change. Better yet...had I had $21.65 in pennies...I would've give it to them all in pennies. No..that would be wrong. I'd at least give one nickle.

No service, no tip!! Simple as that!!

No comments: