Friday, June 18, 2021

Turned out to be a trip for me

Between Grace's graduation... NN's bday... Father's day... end of COVID lockdown... we had a number of reasons to celebrate.... and we did so with a Tahoe Trip.  Last time I was at Tahoe was in July of 2004 - when I had my first encounter with the Holy Spirit at Zephyr's point. 16 years later... we were but 10 miles from that sacred camp ground at South Tahoe.

It didn't start out well though.  During the drive up.. .I specifically mapped "Avoid Tolls" on Google Maps, but somehow, it brought me to the Vallejo bridge which costed me $6!  Grrrrr.... I hope they don't send me an invoice that's $25 + $6.  Where if I sign up for Fast Track, they'll waive the $25.  Then when we got to Sac... nobody wanted Dim Sum.  And we walked aimlessly around for 10 minutes.... only to end up getting Dim Sum.  You just watch... 4 days of no Chinese food and you'll be thanking me.  Then when we got up to Tahoe... it was in the upper 80's.... and the AirBnb doesn't have A/C..... ughh..... which resulted in a lot of sleepless nights... resulting in cranky days.  Aside from that...everything else was simply perfect.

We got to do ziplining. We got to do river rafting (albeit a Class 1).  SW and Joyce both fell off the raft and I dove in the river for the heckuvit.  We went to the beach and rented a kayak...because SW wanted one, not me.  And then one by one... all the kids taxi'ed on.  We ended up going to the Trout farm and all the kids caught their first fish!!!  They market it as a sure thing... but it's anything plus.  I was so worried we'll be there for hours...or worse... NN and SW will go away disappointed again.  

Food was gastronomical.  We brought up hot pot the first night and the leftovers lasted us the next few meals.  Grace was shrewd enough to plan a 2 hour "getaway time" for the three of us and we ended up at a German Pub - amazing beer.  We had more than enough junk food to go around but we ate healthy.  The one thing we didn't do was hike the beautiful nature of Tahoe...which was fine.  With the heat... and with elderly and young... the hike would've been a bunch of complaining anyways. 

I spent a lot of time planning this so the kids can get an experience of a lifetime. What started as a trip for the kids and family... actually turned out to be a trip for me.


No comments: