Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Second Harvest Food Bank

If it's slow... you can't hurry it.  If it's fast... it's a runaway train.  The food sorting assembly line at the Second Harvest Food Bank is unforgiving. I was responsible for scooping apples into a box full of corn, onion, cucumbers and cauliflowers.  These boxes will go to folks in need in the next 24-48 hours.

We started around 2pm... and I couldn't engage in small talk with my neighbor.  There was too much going on.  Every now and then, I'll take a look at the clock, longing for a break. My teammates were screaming at me to hurry up... and I felt like I was failing them.  Yet... I longed to take my time... but I would be failing myself.

My arm was tired.  6-7 apples don't weigh a whole lot.  But after the repetitive motion continues for 2 full hours, it builds on you.  My back was hurting from leaning over to scoop. And dog gone it... the National Guard who was suppose to partner with me was NOT helping.  Every time I had to swap carts... I was slowing everybody down.  Wasn't that his job?? I turn back to look...and he's on his phone.  C'mon man!! We got 40 pallets to build!!

At the end... we packed over 27,000 lbs of food, 

What an experience. 

No comments: