Saturday, January 15, 2022

Fun-Da-Men-Tals

At practice yesterday... Coach Mike asked if I wanted to run any drills.  I was not prepared.  Not at all.  I've never played organized hoops... nor did I think I was going to be asked that question.  But as practice went on... it seemed like Coach Mike wasn't making that connection with the players.  He was more despondent than anything about the quality of these players.  

So I made a commitment... I will rise up to be not just an Assistant, but an Assistant COACH.  All night last night, I poured over Youtube for coaching advice and drills.  I read countless articles on how to run a practice.  I took notes.  Ran over them in my mind. Pictured my players getting better and better... and rehearsed speeches I would give to keep them going when the going gets tough. 

After all that studying... I truly realized... how lacking I was in the fundamentals.  All of my basketball skills... came from playing playground games and imitating Bird and Hardaway and Kobe.  I didn't know any of the terms.  Any of the reasons for doing what is taught.

I am.... tired. 

No comments: