Monday, October 05, 2020

Schooled

COVID19 - School Closure - Day 157  School Reopens - Day 42

SW comes up to me with some 5th grade math problem.... Farmer Joe bought 5 chickens and 3 ducks for $81.  A chicken costs $5 than a duck.  What was the cost of each duck? each chicken?  There are several of them like this.   This is the easier one!!!

I come up with this elaborate algebraic equation.  Two equation.  Two unknowns. Yaddie yaddie yaddah.  Bam.... 5 minutes later... the poor kid has no idea what I'm doing.  

Mommy sits down... looks at my math... shakes her head.... and proceeds to demonstrate how SW has been learning it.  She asks two simple questions.  SW draws 2 simple diagrams.  Does some basic multiplication and division. BAM... he got the answer.

I was schooled by my son.  Not so much my son... but Singapore math schools American math.  

No comments: