Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Beautifully and Professionally done

Received an email from Symantec today that I just renewed anti-virus software for another 4 years and I was being charged $350.  My first thought... what did mom click on?? Or what did I subscribe 4 years ago... that led to this automatic subscription?

The email invoice was soooo professionally done.  The return email was a Symantec email. 

I started emailing and calling the number on the invoice to ask for a refund.  But the email bounced back... so I started calling.  But it was a "408" number and not a "877" or "800" number.  Hmm... Symantec is based in the South Bay.

So I called two times and it was "All circuits are busy now." I didn't think much of it.  But then... I called a third time and someone picked up!!  I was so surprised... I asked "Is this Symantec." The voice on the other end said "yes." I immediately went to put on my airpods... which I thought hung up the call.  

For the next two hours... I kept redialing that number to no avail.  I was under the impression that it was a real number... thinking that persistence will pay off.  After about 50 times of re-dialing... I started looking online for a customer service number.  Maybe I can get a hold of someone through the mainline and eventually get to Billing.

The website wasn't helpful.  I kept being led down dirt roads and chat bots.  Impossible to find help... get a hold of someone.  I finally found a chat window for Norton (not Symantec), that led to a 877 number.  I finally get connected, and in my conversation with the agent... he asked several questions that were so obvious that the email invoice was a Spam and Scam.  And I fell for it.

So sorry for the 408 number that I kept calling.  I'm hoping that person blocked me and wasn't getting 50 calls this afternoon. 

No comments: