Friday, May 29, 2020

Speechless

COVID-19 - School Closure - Day 73

She-Ra... Princess of Power. A 1980's cartoon that spun off from He-Man Masters of the Universe.  I was always jealous of She-Ra.  She had a cooler sword than He-Man.  But it served it's purpose...and got the girls into the show.

She-Ra' on Netflix: Is the '80s Version Better Than the New One ...

Flash forward 30+ years... and Netflix re-releases a new She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (plural).  It's a great premise.  Instead of 1 princess... they diversify and invest in a bunch of princesses.  And instead of a woman... She-Ra is a teenager coming of age, struggling with her identity while finding friends and allies to battle the Evil Horde.  There was even one episode where the princesses went to a dance... like a prom or Winter Ball.  It was a fun premise.  The kids liked it for its adventures and comedy. 

I walk out today and I see Joyce give me a look.  "Do you know how She-Ra ends?"

"Oh no..." I thought.  I had a feeling this was coming... but didn't bring myself to articulating it.



*****SPOILER ALERT********

She Ra ends up with Catra - her female childhood friend.  I was shocked... but I shouldn't have been.  Turns out there was another romantic relationship between 2 female characters earlier in the show.  

****SPOILER ALERT ENDS*******

What are my kids watching?? Without me knowing??  
Then tonight... while surfing for something to watch on a streaming network, there is a category called "LGBTQ for Families" and all their shows are kid friendly.

What is happening???? Or the more appropriate question... what has happened? 

No comments: