Sunday, March 17, 2019

Missed Opportunities

Had a family gathering today to pay our respects to my grandfather and grandmothers. Afterwards we ventured around San Francisco/Colma and finally found a place for lunch where I had a chance to chat with a cousin whom I haven't seen in years.... only to find out she and her daughter (and possibly her mom) is a regular church goer.  I casually ask her what church she goes to; making small talk... nothing out of the ordinary.  There was the ever of slight pauses...then she said, "係摩門教."

I was a bit surprised... but I didn't show my hand.  But why did she pause? Was she embarrassed about it? Did she know I'm a conservative evangelical Christian that could possibly judge her? Or was she just afraid that, like the rest of the family, she'd get ostracized?

Without skipping a beat... I followed up with "Oh... LDS?"  And we carried on a whole different conversation about faith... child raising... teenage dating, etc...

Boy am I depressed.... how can I claim to be a Christian... share my faith left and right with people I know (and don't know), but let the Mormon Church find their way into my family?? The answer... cuz they simply do it.  They aren't afraid of rejection or stepping on anyone's toes.

This marks the 2nd time (that I know of) where one of my family member has been approached by LDS.  When will I step up my game and bring salvation to our family?  How many more missed opportunities will I have to face before I wake up?

Mood: surprised

No comments: