Saturday, March 30, 2019

The Cost of Formalities


 Went to a memorial service today of a 95 year old sister that went to be with the Lord earlier this month.  We didn’t get an official invitation, just an FYI from PAL.. so there was no formal direction on flowers or donations or what not.  I didn’t even realize it until I drove by the Cemetery. Luckily (luck?), there was a Target across the street.  (Side note: I hate how Targets place their things differently from store to store!!)  And where most Targets will have 10-12 selections of Sympathy cards, this place had easily 4-5 dozens!! That’s over 60 selections.  You curtail your store to your audience, I guess. 

I went through all the cards, of course, going through the religious one first.  And regardless of theme or message… there was one universal constant.  They all cost at least $5. 

Now call me the materialistic a-hole… but I’m gonna spend $5 on a card, for a person I barely know, giving to a family that I definitely don’t know, that's probably gonna end up in a recycle bin anyways.  And I was so unprepared, I didn’t know what to do but slip in whatever cash I had on me… a $20.  (Note to self: Gotta reload that $20). The thought did cross my mind that I could get a Target gift card.  Too tacky??? Iono… maybe any other Target, except this store. 

I could’ve slipped in and slipped out (Like the Pier 39 Magic Show) and not pay… and no one will be of the smarter. Whatever… this is the price you pay for the Cost of Formalities.


Mood: Formal

No comments: