Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Oceans rise. Empires Faalllllllll.......

COVID-19 - School Closure - Day 113

And a Happy belated Hamilton Day to you!!  Almost a week since July 3rd when the musical that took the country by storm finally landed on Disney+.  Still remember the first time I came across it... when Geoff told me that I can listen to it on Hoopla for free.  I didn't even know it was a phenomenon back then.  On and off... I'll listen to the songs, but they were never catchy.  Unlike your typical musicals.

A few years back, Hamilton finally premiered at SF Best of Broadway... and boy was it hard to get tickets.  When the pre-sale went live (what the heck is a pre-sale anyways?!?! everyone has equal access!!!), the queue was in the THOUSANDS....for HOURS!!!  And when I finally got to my spot... nothing except for nosebleeds or way off to the side for hundreds if not thousands of bucks.  Ouch!!!

Feeling defeated, I gave up.  I didn't get caught up in the hoopla (heh...see what I did there?).  Then I found out that ppl signed up to be a BoB Member, just so they can get Hamilton tickets.  So when news got out that Hamilton was coming back for a 2nd tour... I jumped on the bandwagon, almost.  The lineup wasn't all that.... and a buddy told me... you can pay aftermarket for that one show... and you won't waste money on the other shows you won't even have time to go watch.  Such wisdom.

Time goes on... and before you know it.... Hamilton is back.  I didn't even realize it until {{someone}} won lotto tickets to it [again]!!!!  Then I started searching for tix....for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Joyce's Bday, Anniversary....  Man..... there were soooooooooooooooooooo many available seats.  And with most supply and demand curves... once there is plenty of supply... I lose interest.  

Flash forward to July 3rd.  It's late.  Kids are asleep after a long, tiring day of chillaxing.  I pop open a cold one (or two) and immerse myself into this cultural revolution (pun intended).  Was it worth 2 hrs and 40 minutes of my time? I love history.  I love art.  I love it when I see a genius at work.  A virtuoso painting his masterpiece.  Yo yo Ma carving his cello.  Federer carving down Nadal.  Lin Manuel Miranda..... carving down American culture as we know it.  

Did I like the musical? How do I rate it?  To measure the success of this musical in the Leung household... I guess you can look at what happened the days after.  The next day... I redownloaded it on hoopla.  Kept on playing it.  Kept on singing (trying to) the songs. Was explaining what the lyrics meant in context and that night...............  Joyce and NN kicked me and SW out and watched it on their own.  It's PG-13 and SW showed zero interest.   So is that good or bad.... when during dinner, I'm playing "My Shot" and the whole fam is bobbing their heads to the beat.  Heh....

And I swear.... by the moon and the stars in the skies.... if I ever get an opportunity to write another musical.... it'll be in the style of Hamilton.  There....that's how I rate it.  #BOOM 

Even when the dark comes crashing through....”

No comments: